Friday, July 27, 2007

My Profession (Part 1)

Is it advisable for me to change my profession? This is a question that bothering me for more than a year. It is time to have a serious thought.

Why this question has came across my mind and it become an issue to me? I have been spending time, effort and money to develop my profession. CPA Australia, MIA, Master in Finance, Bachelor of Commerce (Majoring in Accounting & Finance) and 5.5 years as an auditor. This question became more obvious when I was working in Beijing. My strengths and weaknesses became more apparent. The fact I need to admit is I am not sensitive to figures. Number crunching, sporting issues are definitely not my strength. When these competencies became more demanding as I work my level up, I found myself having difficulties in catching up. Then I realized if I can’t nurture any interest in this field, definitely it can’t become my strength. Still remember during a interview session for a corporate finance position, I was asked whether I read any of the finance magazines like The Age. The answer was clear cut, NO. Come to think about it when I am doing my “business” in the toilet. Finance magazines? Unless there is news that interest me, a superb recipe for a dish, or a crochet piece that I long looking for…. Ha ha ha……

If I am pretty sure accounting is not my interest and strength. Then what am i looking for? May be I shall ask myself, what are my strengths?

Foregoing my profession on the other hands implied that I am foregoing a better pay job. Mom keeps objecting my decision. She thinks it is a waste as I am not practicing my profession and I need to face a pay cut. I know I have car loan, insurances and other fixed monthly expenses to pay. A pay cut does not mean that I will fail to meet my own commitment and obligation, just that I need to have a better planning and management for my own financial. It does not sound too bad after all.

Job satisfaction. I know I am not going to gain any job satisfaction even if I were getting a lucrative pay to become an accountant or finance manager. This is apparent when I am in Beijing. I am getting an expatriate package. But I only gain minimal job satisfaction. I do understand that not everyone love their current position. But if I have a chance to choose a job I like, why not give it a try? It does not sound too bad after all.

I was offer with this position, Consultant in Executive search. Hon Ling posted me this question. What if I found this is not my field of interest? Changing my profession at this moment does not mean that I am buying a one way ticket to hell. Life is full of opportunities, it depends on how you value and appreciate it. There is always a way out at the end of the day. It does not sound too bad after all.

I am in my comfort zone?
Resistant to change because I am afraid to face the coming challenge?
Somehow, I know myself will grow better and stronger with a right amount of pressure.

1 comment:

Grace Lee said...

Grace,
Your post was a very heartfelt one. I'm pretty sure that you're going through an uncertain period in your life now, but guess what, life is full of these. but you can be sure that God is always wiling to listen and guide you through your difficult times. although the answers may not come directly, God does answer indirectly through people and also 'opportunities' that appear to come your way. the only advice i can give is that there's no harm praying about your situation and asking God to really show you what to do. I strongly believe that if you're desperate enough in seeking him for an answer, he will meet you in your time of need. please excuse me, as a christian, i had to say that to you because he's the first person i turn to in times of uncertainty and crisis.

apart from that, i promise to partner you in prayer and for you to bounce off ideas. i will be here to listen to you if you need me. but the one thing i know and my dad constantly reassures me is, dont live in the 'what ifs' in life. go ahead and do it, take it the bull by the horns, try the different opportunity that you're presented with. and if you dont like it, move on and try something else. all you could possibly lose is some time, but you'll be meeting new people and building your contacts. and you never know what those new relationships will bring. many successful career people who are trying career changes are checking out HR consulting and recruitment. its a natural since you already know the finance industry inside-out (or should know more than the average HR consultant) and you understand the needs of a potential job seeker. and i heard that the rewards are pretty attractive too, when you place top executives.

i personally dont think that its a crime not doing what you went to uni for. its just a safety net. but many successful people in this world are doing things that have nothing to do with what they studied. i also believe in finding yourself in work and having an impact in the lives of others. i value that in any career or path i choose.

so here's my 2 cents worth. trust that i'll be praying for you too. lets continue to bounce ideas off each other and feel free to give me a buzz anytime ok.

btw, you can also check out http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/archive/careerist/Penelope-Trunk/1.
some interesting and contemp articles on career related stuff. its not concrete but can act as a guide in your current state.

take care ok!

Teck Jin